Christmas is in the Air

The air energy was aggravated on Thursday.  I honestly think had something to do with the planetary alinement and of course the cool breeze on the island that day.  :)  Rob, Dashon, and Christian worked on the half pipe.  The afternoon cooled just so and made for comfortable working conditions.  Nathaniel and I began our winter lesson of cursive today.  My goal is to have him comfortable writing in cursive by the end of January.  The boys have convinced themselves it is Christmas break somewhere and so it should be here.  Now is the time for the fun task of manipulation, turning everyday moments into learning experience.  For instance, building a half pipe aka geometry...and wood shop!



Fight or Flight

An alarm went off earlier.  We are in a valley so it's somewhat difficult to determine where exatly sounds are coming from, at least alarms anyway.  It was a valuable lesson that one needs a plan for emergencies.  I found that my children have the Fight Response; Nathaniel grabs a machete, Christian (all the while a barefooted island boy) begins to run out the gate with a plastic PVC pipe in hand, and I'm on the phone and reigning them back in the gate.  It was a sight!  We followed through with a lock in...just in case and it was secure.  We failed at closing the gate, but if I can jump a gate, then...

Art Thursdays

Nathaniel, Rob, and I took a break to go downtown to Art Thursday in downtown Christiansted.  It was nice to get out and walk around, meet some people, have some food and wine!

Nathaniel spoke with a woman from animal rescue and hopes to volunteer in the near future.  He's such an animal lover!  We had mexican, but have yet to find a replacement for El Gran Rodeo.  Oh, how I miss our Mexican food!

I ment an interior designer who is going to stop by at some point, she specializes in fabrics and I have a lot of things that need upholstering! We bought a few gifts and just had a really good night.

Waiting patiently to begin 

Getting our art on 

Lil' Picasso

Take a break and have some fun....Trekkie?

Than took this a local shop downtown

I heart puppies!

Cool shot of a resturant 

Working hard, my McSteamy's :)

Almost done...

Mommy finished the graffiti....so fun!

It's time to DROP IN!



Wood Shop

When the boys finished cutting the first piece of the half pipe I knew this was going to be one of those rare projects that are completed, and honestly Christian would have nothing less.  They really worked hard and the finished product looks amazing.  Christian is teaching Dashon how to skateboard, I looked out the window to see Dashon in a helmet riding back and forth on the ramp, it was really cute. Christian was talking about how happy he is here and how he's excited to start looking for a curriculum that will enable him to continue on the homeschool path.  It's such a relief considering he had some fear accepting the whole idea in the beginning.


What we are all learning is that our homeschool isn't sitting at the table and pulling teeth for 4 hours.  Yes, we do have table time, but more of our learning is done in the moment.  We love to learn in the morning when the mind in fresh, but sometimes the boys are more receptive in the afternoon.  I love the fact that we are all becoming more confident in our process and our family unit is growing and changing in such profound and wonderful ways that I can't be afraid, I just can't.  I'm too excited. And when see the man Dashon is becoming it makes me hopeful to see the men that are yet to come.


Relax with Relief

We sat this morning, after a nice walk up the mountain and back, sat enjoying the view, and had one of those moments when we feel really blessed to have this time with our boys on this island.  Rob and I are pleased with the progress all the boys have made in the last year. Dashon is growing into a young adult, Christian and Nathaniel are adjusting and spend most of the day in high spirits.  Aside from some sibling rivalry, (which Rob and I don't understand spending most of lives as only children) the boys are enjoying life.  What else is more important than that?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Paradise in VA: Yogaville

Time to transition....

7 Things I Learned From a Turkey Free Thanksgiving