Calming Down

18 or 81

We got news earlier yesterday of approaching snow back home.  My grandma said the low was going to be 18, the temperature here was 81! It's bitter sweet for us to be here especially when my husband provides snow removal there in the the winter months.  He was in quite a panic and pacing for some time last night.  It's also been hard for Nathaniel knowing that his friends are out of school and outside playing in the snow, it is one of the things he misses most.  He also likes cool weather, he must have warmer blood than I do!

New Arrival

Rob's mother, Ann is here with us now.  We took her to Limon Beach yesterday and went out on the boards, laid on the beach, and picked up sea glass and Chaney.  Today,  we are finding a little bit of a slower pace, hanging out at the house, doing some home school, and enjoying the wonderful breeze.  Later the boys will have their sailing lesson and we will have some adult time at the Yacht Club.  There is an auction tonight to raise funds for the youth sailing program. It should be a good time.





Change

There is something about the island that inspires change.  It's easy in the sun and warm temperatures for us to be active and active always makes life happier.  I spoke with my dad on the phone and he was so happy, even though it's frigid there.  He has carried the positivity home with him.

Positivity  is more or less a way of life on the islands, and it seems more so here than in Virginia.  I guess the challenge is to stay inspired once we get home too.  I always struggled during the winter months, the cold in isolating, and staying inside to keep warm stirs to much of the Vata (air energy) and I end up in my head too much for my own good.

What a great day spending my dad and Mae's last day at Rainbow Beach!

Mae enjoying her last St. Croix sunset

The most amazing sunset yet!


Hitchcock's Bird

So at the end of my last post, I mentioned that I wanted to find out more about the beautiful birds that are a constant in our yard.  Well, I have learned a lot! They are called Cattle Egrets and here is how I found out:  No sooner as I finished the post, I was watching them while chatting on the phone with my friend Chee Chee, when out of no where it looked like a trash bag flew up threw the yard.  I got up and went to the end of the porch to see what it was and to my horror and dismay there was a big dark hawk tackling one of the Egrets.  As I rounded the corner of a big neem tree in my yard, the hawk picked up the now deceased Egret and carried it off!  Needless to say, the Egrets have not returned as of yet.

So now the problem is that my dogs are not much bigger than those Egrets!  Yikes!

Lady's Night

To end today's blog on a good note..... I had a girls' night out! It was a lot of fun! My friend Nora, from Savant that I mentioned earlier put the whole thing together and invited me along to meet some of her friends.  We had a delightful and delectable dinner, wine, and conversation at a fine dining restaurant called Kendrick's downtown Christiansted.  It was so nice to have an evening out!  Thanks to Nora for getting us together and thanks to Rob for transporting me home safely!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Paradise in VA: Yogaville

7 Things I Learned From a Turkey Free Thanksgiving

Time to transition....