To the States and Back Again

Good Bye to a Good Man

A lot has happened since my last entry.  I've already made a trip to Virginia and back to attend my grandfather's funeral.  My first memories of my Pop, Ernest Adkins are fond.  He was an intelligent, talented, creative, and hard-working man.  He played the fiddle and I remember him playing "Pop Goes the Weasel" and begging him to "do it again, Pop!" until his fingers were sore.  Pop was known for his fiddle playing, wood-working, story telling, and being the sole provider to my Grandma Helen and their six children.

"Pop, you are going to be sorely missed." Love, your 'lil' girlfriend', Chelle

My grandparents


Family Love

Despite the sad reasons for being there,  there was good to come from the trip, and good lessons about the love and support family brings.  At one point before the service, Pop's family and loved ones were all gathered in a circle for prayer, after the prayer, Kenneth McCoy, the funeral director, brought Helen, to the center and asked her, "Helen, who do you want to walk you in?".   Helen scanned the room and you could literally feel the anticipation of everyone saying mentally, 'Pick me! Pick me!'.  She continued to scan through the whole circle, then blurted out, "I don't know.....John!?"  The whole room erupted in laughter.   You see, John in my step-father, and a dutiful man, we all know John would do it and do it well!  My aunt Trish came behind her, and said, "That's cute Helen, but all the siblings planned to walk you in, if that's ok?"  Helen agreeably says, "Ok."

It was only one of many sweet moments throughout the few days with my family.

I Heart Mexican!

If you know me well, you know that my grandma Helen and I are VIP's at a local Mexican restaurant called El Gran Rodeo.  Now, you can only eat so much comfort food and sit for so long.  My uncle Bill and I had had enough of both and so the natural step is Mexican!  We took a vote until we had enough takers, (nine of us!) and we headed out.  Candy, my cousin, used the opportunity for her first date without her new baby Harrison.  Helen kindly joined us (it wouldn't of been right to go without her!). Overall, it was a success!  We enjoyed margarita's, delicious food, and great conversation.  I've never licked my plate clean before! ;)

Yummy Peach Margarita 

Yum!


Charlotte Girls Trip

After all the processions were finished and the majority of guest headed home my Aunt Mary, Aunt Trish, my mom Anita, Helen, and I decided to head to Charlotte a day earlier than my flight.  It was a wonderful chance to catch up and spend some time together on a lighter note.  We stopped by the Shelton Winery on the way and had lunch and a little wine tasting then headed to North Lake mall for a little retail therapy.  We ended the night sharing a bottle of wine purchased earlier in the day and 5 girls who later packed into beds giggling the night away.

I woke the next morning, looking sharp, and ready to come back to the island.

Yummy Reisling

Shelton Winery
I little artsy pic I took of Kim's sea glass 


 Left Behind and Going Away

I left guests at my house, when I went back to Va.  My dad and step-mom Mae, had only arrived the night before.  We fell right back into where we left off the first night, I listened to all the adventures they had with Rob and the boys while I was away.

We took our big boy to the airport this morning.  We are going to miss him so much.  We know that he has a lot to take care of getting ready for school and all, but our family is never complete without him.  I think little Christian will miss him most of all, the two were practically un-seperateable for the last month. I hope he got what he needed to out of the trip.  Eighteen is such a delectable but challenging time all at once, you have the whole world in front of you, but the whole world is a lot to have in front of you at eighteen too.

"We believe in you Shonny!  And we will be praying for you and here to support you all the way!"

Some Other High Points in VA:


  • my little cousin Irianna telling me I live in my own reality b/c I told her I was 18
  • texting with my little cousin Annabell
  • spending time with my little sis Melissa and her family
  • rooming with my Aunt Mary
  • lunch with my good girlfriend Cindy and her son aka my boyfriend Austin (who can't keep his clothes on around me!)
  • hanging out,  reminiscing, and going through sea glass with my good girlfriend Kim
  • breakfast with my Maw Maw Lina
It was so nice to see you all! There were many more friends and loved ones... and little ones that I didn't get to see, I hope to spend lots of time with you when I get home!



For today...

Nathaniel is mowing the grass for chores today.



I've got to figure out what these birds love about our yard!

Coming up next...

Nana Ann comes to visit.

Break time is over and it's back to the books!

***I've posted a lot of pics on INSTAGRAM.  You can add me there, user name OMKARRAYOGA.***








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Paradise in VA: Yogaville

7 Things I Learned From a Turkey Free Thanksgiving

Time to transition....