No Bag, No Rum. No Problem Man.

This is a continuation from the previous blog...

After being redirected from our connecting flight in St. Thomas to San Juan, Kim and I decided we had politely been hoodwinked into giving up our seats.

"It's because we booked on Expedia." Kim said earlier. I joked with her that it was that very comment that manifested the whole thing. She told me she thought it was because I asked for seats together and thus drawing unwanted attention. We laughed as we retold the story from our own vantage point.

The flight went without incident for the most part. A young mother sat across from us with her three small boys. They cried quite a bit, ate snacks, drank Coke, then went spastic. We accurately predicted the latter after the food and beverage service.  They were cute even while driving their mom crazy (her own words).

"I have three boys myself, I've been there."  I reassured her.  We exchanged pleasantries and she told me my boys were all grown up. I'll laughed, comparably maybe so I thought. 

The plane ended up landing late so we rushed to our next flight on Cape Air. No Margaritaville. Cape Air has small planes and I'd always had great service with them so I felt some relief knowing that they'd probably hold the plane for a bit if they knew we had at least landed. 

At the gate I checked in as they made the boarding announcement, asked about my luggage, the agent reassured me it would be on.  Kim checked in behind me. When the agent handed her a ticket I realized she didn't hand me one, it was a good thing I hung around. It took about 10 minutes and another agent, but I finally got my ticket. That plane was gone but thank goodness they had two running to St. Croix. 

"I've never had this much trouble before." I explained to Kim. I felt drained, "I'm just ready to be there."

Once on board our last flight of the day, in my usual seat behind the pilot, there was relief with familiararity. I new I needed to recharge so I ate a little snack of nuts and berries, hydrated, and closed my eyes. I did a full 35 minutes of yoga nidra (aka yogic sleep). When I came too I saw my beautiful island in view and smiled whole-heatedly. I turned and smiled at Kim. 

"You look great!"   She exclaimed. 

That's always nice to hear, I felt great. I told her about yoga nidra and promised to lead her through it one day this week. 

Off the plane and heading toward the baggage claim, we really were ecstatic to finally be on island. However, the joy was short lived, my bag did not make the trip. 

"It's an orange, hard shell case." I explained to the new even less enthused agent. 

"Where did you fly in from." She asked. Oh boy, where to start? I explained the best I could a couple times. She was as confused as we were. "I'm sure it will come in on the next plane." 

When was that? 30 minutes. We waited. Rum counters' closed. No fun. No bag. Back to the counter. 

"It will probably be in later or the morning. Just come back." 

Gotta love the island, no formalities. I got the number to the desk, I'll call first, thank you. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Divine Pendulum

7 Things I Learned From a Turkey Free Thanksgiving

Preparing for St. Croix USVI